Rachel Kendrigan




February 2012 Installation
Klemm's Newsagency

 

July Installation



A man rakes leaves into
A heap in his yard, a pile,
& leans on his rake &
Burns them utterly.
The fragrance fills the forest
Children pause & heed the
Smell, which will become
Nostalgia in several years
                -Jim Morrison

Born and raised in Mildura I have had an interest in art since being a young child and am lucky to come from a very creative family. I completed a Diploma of Visual Arts at Sunraysia Institute of TAFE in 2008. I have worked for several local arts organisations and businesses. In 2011 I have returned to study to complete my Bachelor of Visual Arts through La Trobe University, Mildura.
Previously my medium has been photography but I have a passion for mark making that I am now focusing on. Using drawing, painting and mixed media, I am creating work that is a direct expression of the self.
My latest work focused on the ideas of nostalgia, memories and dreams and how these visions can often be distorted and out of touch with reality. I am now interested in taking this idea further, not just using my past but the past before me. I am very lucky to have access to information, images and stories of up to nine generations of my family dating back to the 1700’s.
In this work created for the White Cube I have focused on the matriarchal line. I am looking to my ancestors to help discover who I am and take me into my future. These women, Barbara Anne Buckler, Dorothy Elaine Williamson, Irene Constance Mary Thomas, Martha McMillan, Jane Bowen, and Margaret Gay are a mystery to me yet have directly passed down genes that have made me who I am. This book is a small offering to my matriarchal anscestors.






No comments:

Post a Comment