Prue Hobbs

Lady Viking, November Cube installation
I use photography as the basis for my work.
The camera is my pencil.
I use the medium of print.
The idea becomes a print and from print perhaps another or an installation.
Printmaking is conducive to the act of multiplication and repetition.
Repetition as discourse, to refine, to demonstrate movement or ritual.

I work in and with the confines and obvious nature of the monochromatic to explore the relationship of words and images to communicate a visual language.



LADY VIKING”

When I was little I loved to watch Dad mow the lawns.
Up and back, up and back.
The smell of the freshly cut greens.
The dappled morning light within which I was sitting, safely, overseeing.

As an adult I enjoy the same task and share it with my partner.
The whipper snipper is my power tool.
My son has three lawn mowers and a whipper of his own and loves to shadow his Dad when he is undertaking the work.

This piece has evolved from my drives around town noticing the many and varied shapes of women who undertake this task.
A role synonymously viewed as being that of the male.
I love to note the shift in sexually specified tasks as we evolve our decades.
Women on the end of mowers and men pushing prams.


CURRICULUM VITAE
QUALIFICATIONS
CERT 4 TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT = SUNRAYSIA INSTITUTE OF TAFE, 2010

GRADUATE DIPLOMA OF EDUCATION (SECONDARY) = MONASH UNIVERSITY, 2004-2006

BACHELOR OF ARTS (VISUAL ART/FINE ART) = LA TROBE UNIVERSITY, 1995-1998

RECENT EXHIBITIONS
WORLDWIDE PINHOLE PHOTOGRAPHY DAY 2011
X REPRESENTS THE UNKNOWN, TOWN HALL GALLERY HAWTHORN, 2008
COMING INTO FOCUS, Mildura Arts Centre, 2007
Colin Barrie Survey Award Exhibition, Mildura Regional Art Gallery, 2006
Murray Darling Palimpsest #6, Gallery 25 Mildura, 2006
Signs and Symbols, Gallery 25 Mildura, 2006
Position and Place, Gallery 25 Mildura, 2005
Urban Images, Gallery 25 Mildura, 2005
Miniature, La Trobe University Art Museum Glen College, Bundoora Campus, 2005







No comments:

Post a Comment