Artist: Bradley Rosher

Title: Anamorphic Illusion
Medium:  Pencil, marker and fineliner
Location: Café 27 Deakin Avenue

I have been exploring existentialism and reality, exploring our perceptions and ideas of what is real, the emotional response we have to this, and how I can visually represent that. I have been interested in illusion drawings for many years now, having drawn a variety of my own. These have been of cracks on walls, or rips in paper, as I like the illusion of damage when there is actually none at all. The fact that we can see something like this, and our brain can accept that as something that’s real is both amazing and slightly disconcerting.
With this drawing, I wanted to try something different and more complex, so I eventually decided to try my hand at an anamorphic drawing. This basically means drawing something distorted/elongated, which only looks correct when viewed at the correct angle. Everything about this drawing is designed to trick your eyes, from the distortion, to the striking contrast of the checker pattern, to the selective and subtle shading.

No comments:

Post a Comment