Kerryn Finch

 
 
Dog days. (Ink, pencil, graphite and acrylic on paper)
The dog is an iconic image in my work, symbolising loyalty and a constant companion. Growing up, my family always had pet dogs, and they were very much part of the family. One of the saddest memories I have of my childhood is of my pet dogs death. The harshness of mortality kicked in for me that day. The realization that nothing lived forever. Memories fade.
This work represents memory, and the housing of memories inside the cube, both joined and separate at the same time. Some are strong, etched eternally in our minds and hearts, others have begun to fade over the years.
Artist Bio- Kerryn Finch
Born in Footscray, Melbourne in 1980, my parents and I moved to Robinvale when I was quite young. I was lucky enough to grow up in a small community on the Murray River, with plenty of fresh air and freedom. I always loved to draw and create.
Much of my work is based on memories, sentiment and nostalgia. I currently live in Kerang with my partner and our two children. I juggle my role as a mother, practising art and working. I am inspired by my own childhood, my children, and my immediate environment, usually the domestic setting. Dogs have always been an important part of my family, and my life. My grandfather trained and bred kelpies for farming, so the dog has become a recurrent image.
 
 
Curriculum Vitae
Kerryn Finch
Education
  • Robinvale Consolidated School
  • Robinvale SecondaryCollege
  • Sunraysia Institute of Tafe, Diploma Fine Art, Visual Art 2000-2002
  • La Trobe university Mildura campus, Bachelor Fine Art, 2003-2004 (incomplete)
Awards and Exhibitions
  • Recipient of La Trobe University Vice chancellors Regional Scholarship 2003
  • Wentworth Art Show Highly Commended 2004
  • Student Exhibitions
  • Gannawarra Shire Walk of Art, Encouragement Award 2008
  • Swan HillRegional ArtGallery ‘Connections’ 2009
  • ‘Nejakarto’ Gallery Kerang Group Exhibition 2009 - 2010
  • Shortlisted for the Swan Hill Acquisitive Print and Drawing Show, 2010
  • Received a RAV grant for ‘Married to a Blockie’ project 2010-11
  • Exhibited in Robinvale, Swan Hill and Kerang 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment