May Featured Artist



Mel Castleman

Title: Cocoons
Medium:  Found organic and manmade materials

Location: Chan & Naylor

Artist statement
Cocoons represent hidden potential, latent power, a resting time of unseen change between phases of action, growth, birth, death and destruction.
This is me and my hidden connection to the land.  I am white skinned, grew up in town.  Not indigenous and not from a farming family but I feel a strong connection to the land, to nature.
This “making” is Nichol’s Point Cemetery and the surrounding bushland.  From an early age I liked this area and would ride my bike out here from town to Bruce’s Bend.  Since then friends and family have been buried at the old cemetery.
This is my search for connection and validation of belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment