August featured artist




Artist: Donna Williams


Title: The Suchers of Necessity
Medium:  Handmade paper, sewing, thread, dyes, artist book

Location: Chann & Naylor

Artist statement
Sewing played a large part of my growing up, it was a skill of necessity, a talent learned and handed down to daughters, generation upon generation. Having faithfully learned needle point and sewing along with basic knitting and crocheting I had hoped that one day something of interest for the craft would stir within and catapult me to the next skill level or even give me an inkling of desire, as happened to my sisters, yet none appeared.   Even today I have no desire or passion to undertake these predominantly female traditions yet one can appreciate the time, energy and patience they take.  As I sewed the twelve panels, the skill of stitching came back to me like riding a bike thanks to my teachers.
The Suchers of Necessity became a thank you to my mother, grandmother and sisters for their patience and time, it has also helped in healing over some wounds of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment