May featured artist








Artist: Chris Fraser

Title: Dancing with fish
Medium:  gouache, pen, ink and cotton on paper

Location: Chann & Naylor



This piece springs from a visualization that combines two past pieces of my work. About thirty years ago I made a terracotta pyramid of a slightly larger size for our backyard. It was decorated with dancing figures inspired by Matisse’s work. The images on this new pyramid are based on my 2013 exhibition titled ‘dancing with fish’. At that time I was particularly interested in rhythm and movement and had gathered inspiration from the stylised and quirky figures found within traditional Chinese papercuts. It was the joyful and richly decorative nature of these papercuts that appealed to me. The stitching on this piece is both a means of holding the heavy watercolour paper together and a further decorative element.

No comments:

Post a Comment